Pages

16 June 2013

Moustache Cake



It was my littlest brother's birthday yesterday. This is his birthday cake. There's a bit of a running joke in our family about him and mustaches so when I saw a cake similar to this on pinterest I immediately thought of him.
It was surprisingly easy to do; bake a standard round cake (mine was 8 inches) then cut it in a yin-yang design. I traced the design freehand with a knife first then cut all the way through to the bottom of the cake when I was happy with the shape. 







Once they'd be cut I covered the shapes in a thin layer of icing. This is more professionally known as a crumb coat but I think Cake Boss' 'dirty icing' is a much better name.
Remember, one of them needs to be flipped over so that the final shape looks like a mustache. I forgot this. 




After the layer of dirty icing had set up in the fridge I used the remaining icing to completely cover the cake. A dragged a fork all over it to make it look 'hairy'. It's kinda gross describing a cake as hairy (finding a hair in my food literally makes my stomach turn and I can't eat any more) but that's what this cake is all about so go with it. Make it as hairy as possible.

Until you have something that looks like this





Cake Ingredients:
115g caster sugar
115g butter
2 eggs
115g self raising flour
seeds of 1 vanilla pod
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp vanilla extract

Method:
Preheat the oven to fan 160
Beat together the sugar and butter until really light and fluffy
Add the eggs one at a time and mix until fully combined. Add the vanilla with the second egg
Fold in the flour, baking powder and vanilla seeds
Pour into a greased and lined 8 inch tin and bake for 30 minutes

How easy is this cake!!??

Icing:
125g butter
175g icing sugar
80g melted dark chocolate

Cut the butter into small chunks and beat a little until softened
Sieve in the icing sugar and mix until fully incorporated into the butter
Stir in the melted chocolate




Jonny loved it. Not only was it his favorite cake flavors but it also had a bit more a personal meaning and made him smile

2 comments:

  1. I mustache you a question, but I'll shave it for later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha great cake but the above comment makes it. i'd like a hairy pudding for my birthday please x

    ReplyDelete