Pages

25 April 2013

Best Chewy Cookies Ever



For as long as I can remember I have been searching for the perfect cookie recipe. I am very much a member of the chewy cookie team. Crispy cookies just won’t do it for me. Unfortunately, when I was little and the role of head baker had not yet been passed to me, my mum used to ALWAYS make crisp cookies. Every time she told me she’s baked cookies she’d set my heart a-flutter with the hope of a deliciously chewy cookie waiting for me after tea. This was never the case.
Now don’t get me wrong, my mum is an incredible cook and is highly skilled at baking too, but chewy cookies never were her forte. We can’t blame her for that. But now whenever I find myself eating a perfectly chewy cookie, the little child in me deprived of them for all those years does a little happy dance.  
Honestly, this is not a recipe I came up with myself. After many many hours of research and trawling the internet, and many more experimental batches of cookies, this recipe finally came to me via one of my best friends, Chloe. She came to visit me at uni one weekend and with her came a box of the most delicious homemade cookies I had ever had. With my mouth still full I demanded where she’d got the recipe from and she told me simply to Google ‘millie’s cookie recipe’. And this is exactly what I did.
I know there are slight variations out there but this is the version I found and the recipe I will use for the rest of my life. It is that good.

Ingredients:
125g butter
100g soft light brown sugar
125g caster sugar
1 large egg
1tsp vanilla extract
225g self-raising flour
200g chocolate chunks

Method:
Preheat the oven to fan 160 (or 180 for a normal oven)
Line 2 or 3 trays with greaseproof paper
Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg and beat until combined
Fold in the flour and add the chocolate chips just before it’s fully combined to avoid overbeating


Use a dessert spoon to blob cookie dough mounds onto the tray. You could probably get 6-8 cookies on each, depending on what size tray you have


I tend to bake mine for around 10 minutes I like my cookies seriously cookie; as in, verging on still being cookie dough. If you like yours chewy but still able to hold the shape and have a slightly crispy edge I would bake them for closer to 15 minutes
Leave them to cool on the trays for a few minutes after taking them out of the oven then move them onto a wire rack to cool completely



I know it's not a great photo but it was a quick one I took to send to a friend via whatsapp. I'm putting it in so you can see just how gooey they really are (check out the upside down one...sooo good)

P.S. this cookie dough is devillishly tasty. Before you know it half will disappear...or more if you're like me and my friends at uni

2 comments:

  1. These look great, I love a gooey cookie. Best wishes
    sophxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't need to know about this Rebecca... Sundays are for baking in my opinion and these are next on my to do list xxx

    ReplyDelete